GU’s patented carbohydrate blend delivers high-quality, easily-digested and long-lasting energy for athletes in every sport and at all levels.
All Gu products are available at a special discounted price due to our work with the brand as one of our key event sponsors.
PRODUCT INFORMATION - ALL GU GELS
- Created for daily training and competition, GU Energy Gel packs energy-dense calories in a portable packet to help sustain energy demands of any duration or activity.
- The 100-calorie packet contains carbohydrates (maltodextrin and fructose) that use non-competing pathways to help maximize carbohydrate absorption and utilization while diminishing stomach distress. Sodium, the primary electrolyte lost in sweat, aids in hydration by maintaining water balance. The branched-chain amino acids (leucine, valine, isoleucine) may reduce mental fatigue and decrease muscle damage.
- ELECTROLYTES Maintain water balance and aid in optimum hydration. CARBOHYDRATES Deliver ready-to-use energy and delay bonking by sparing glycogen. AMINO ACIDS Reduce mental fatigue and decrease muscle damage. CAFFEINE Enhances performance by increasing focus and concentration and decreasing perceived effort during exercise.
- Consume one packet 5 minutes before, and one packet every 45 minutes during activity.
- Wash down with your favorite GU Hydration Drink or water for optimum absorption
- There are only 100 calories per packet, yet I burn through 100 calories in 10 minutes. Shouldn’t I eat more than one every 30-45 minutes?
We limited GU Energy Gel to 100 calories because, in general, the body can digest roughly 350 calories per hour during exercise. If you tried to eat more, the body would divert blood from your muscles— say “buh-bye” to a personal record—to handle the excess food. If your metabolism is slow, then one GU every 45 minutes works fine. If you have an athlete’s metabolism, try ingesting one GU Energy Gel every 30 minutes and see if it agrees with you.
- How do you eat GU Energy Gel?
Rip open the top and squeeze the entire packet into your mouth—don’t save half of it for later. GU Energy Gel’s recipe of carbohydrates and amino acids was created to be taken in one shot to provide you with maximum benefits.
- How should you use GU energy Gel to help you recover from hard training or racing?
When you stop, go ahead and eat a pack of GU Energy Gel, even if it’s been less than 30 minutes from your last shot of gel. Now that you’ve stopped exercising, your stomach can handle those calories and needs them to start restoring your muscle glycogen—essentially the body’s instant fuel reservoirs.
- Can I use GU Energy Gel for a strength workout or even yoga?
Sure. While GU Energy Gel was designed for endurance sports, it can be used anytime you need energy to fuel a workout. It can also serve as a 100-calorie pick-me-up if you’re dragging or simply need a snack to carry you through until your next meal.
- How does the caffeine in GU Energy Gel help me?
GU Energy Gel comes in both caffeinated and non-caffeinated flavors. Strawberry Banana, Lemon Lime, Peanut Butter, and Root Beer do not have any caffeine in them. Mandarin Orange, Vanilla Bean, Chocolate Outrage, Triberry, Tastefully Nude, Chocolate Peanut Butter, and Salted Watermelon all have 20mg of caffeine per packet. GU’s Espresso Love, Caramel Macchiato, and Jet Blackberry flavors have 40mg of caffeine. Caffeine consumption during exercise improves performance in several ways: it sharpens focus and perks you up; but more importantly, it helps the body produce more power, reduce the pain of hard efforts, and may even tap fat for fuel during exercise. All of this prolongs your ability to exercise at a high intensity. We use just enough caffeine to jump start this benefit and no more.
- Does GU Energy Gel freeze?
Yes, but well below zero. It does thicken in cold weather, so keep GU close to your body to keep it warm.
- How long does GU Energy Gel take to work?
The fructose converts quickly into an energy molecule that your muscles can tap within minutes. The maltodextrin, which makes up 70-80% of the carbohydrate blend (depending on flavor), takes several minutes longer. Because of this delay, your muscles enjoy a steady stream of energy instead of one gigantic sugar rush and a corresponding crash.
- Is GU Energy Gel safe for children?
Yes, if they’re playing sports, on a hike or just being active, GU Energy Gel will help kids just as much as it helps you. You’d probably want to keep them away from the flavours that contain caffeine; no need to make them more hyperactive.
- Is GU Energy Gel Kosher?
GU Energy Gel (Peanut Butter and Chocolate Peanut Butter are not certified Kosher) is kosher.
CENTURION REVIEW/ WHY THIS PRODUCT?
Gu gels are thicker than similar products, but the benefit is that they are thus smaller and easier to store/ carrythan other gels. For example, you can easily get say 20 on board a Salomon Ultra (3 litre) Race Vest in a race or run with little or no support opportunities. You’re also unlikely to get any spillages when opening the packet - nobody likes sticky gel all over their hand and clothing! A huge variety of flavours means you will never get sick of the one flavour over the course of a long race. Choose those with 1 or 2 times caffeine for the extra boost. Salted Caramel and Vanilla Bean are two big favourites.